art, art journal, Sherrinda

My Art Journal – Week 2 : Documented Life Project 2015

The challenge this week in the Documented Life Project 2015 was to add gesso to your page. The prompt was: “The beginning is always today” -Mary Shelley

I didn’t cover my pages with gesso first like most did. I painted it with orange, pink, and white, then added black gesso on the edges and here and there on the page. After stamping, adding collage papers, and journaling, I called it finished. I love the color and the black together.

Have a fabulous Wednesday! 

art, art journal, One Little Word

My Art Journal – Week 1: Documented Life Project 2015

So Week 1’s prompt of the Documented Life Project was to us book pages in your spread. The month’s theme is to face your fear of the blank page and so Week 1’s challenge was to cover your page with book pages. So I covered my spread with pages from a songbook, a dictionary, a crossword puzzle and also pieces of the inside of safety envelopes. I painted with watered down acrylics, painted circles and used some stamps. I did a little journaling on the page and added a cool magazine piece in the middle. I wrote my goals for the year underneath the flap that I made out of a large recipe card that I painted with black gesso and glued a piece of my underpaper on. Adding some washi tape finished off the piece. It’s not my favorite, but it turned out okay. (And I kept adding stuff to the page so you can’t even see the book pages….too bad….I love book pages.)

art, art journal, Sherrinda

Documented Life Project 2015: Making the Cover

So I thought I would document the making of my cover for the Documented Life Project 2015. I always get asked how I do layers so here you go. This is how I do it.

First I used a matt gel medium to glue pieces of torn pages onto my journal cover. The pieces are from song books, dictionary pages, and the inside of safety envelopes (mostly from bills).

After it dried, I spread watered down acrylics around on the page. I pooled the pink around the edges, then let it drip and run over the cover. 

Now the fun part. I started stamping. I used black ink to stamp the feathers and the arrows. Then I used red acrylic paint to stamp the paisleys. Then I used a 2-1/4″ circle punch to punch out circles from some of my “under paper” (under paper is the paper I put under the project I’m working on. It is where I clean off my brushes, stamps, brayers, etc.) After I glued the circles down, I went around them in red paint. I also used 2 circles as flowers and painted the outline in black and colors the petals with the red paint. Then I used the end of a toilet paper roll to dip in white paint and put marks on the page. I added black dots inside the white circles. (I did add some green distress paint before I stamped…I forgot about that.) I also used a black Signo uniball pen to write some words and scripture on the cover.

Next I took a black Neocolour II crayon and drew around the edges and around the flowers and circles. I took a water brush (or a wet paintbrush) and smudged the black around. I used my finger to smudge it more. It wasn’t as dark as I wanted so I used my Pentel india ink brush pen to loosely spread ink around, then quickly wiped it around with an old rag to smudge the ink. That worked exactly like I wanted. 
Then I added my word for the year. I cut some squares out of card stock, then painted them with black gesso. After it was dried, I used a white Signo Uniball pen to write my letters. Then I adhered the letters with the matt gel medium. After it dried, I put a thin layer of gel medium over the whole thing to seal it. I may use a better sealer later…not sure. 

To finish it off, I gathered several pieces of thread and ribbon and tied a bow on the elastic. I think it added a nice touch. 

Have a great day!

art, art journal, My Documented Life

My Documented Life: Week 47

The challenge for Week 47 of the Documented Life Project was to use or draw a map of where you live. I didn’t have a map of where I lived, so I decided to use a map that I got in some happy mail. In fact, the happy mail envelope was made out of a map. It worked great and I really enjoyed the Dina Wakely paint colors. Turquoise and yellow…very soft and pretty.

Have a super day!

art, art journal, My Documented Life

My Documented Life: Week 45

The challenge for Week 45 of The Documented Life Project was to add tabs to your page. I added tabs to a couple of flaps, then added those to my page with washi tape. Not my favorite page…I think the green was not really the color I was going for, but I keep telling myself that experimentation is part of the process. I need to embrace failures. It’s all a learning experience that helps me grow.

Have a great day and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

art, art journal, My Documented Life

My Documented Life: Week 44

“Add leaves to your pages” was the challenge for Week 44 of The Documented Life Project, so I gathered up some leaves, painted them, then glued them to my page. I used a TON of matte medium to get them to stick, and even put wax paper between the pages and set a heavy book on top to make it set better. It finally worked and I’m happy with the results.

Happy Monday!